Monday, July 13, 2009

The Reality of AIDS


This past month, I had the opportunity to spend a significant amount of my time working with the AIDS community here in Durban. The students at UKZN were on break for six weeks and we were allowed to spend that time however we wished. During that time, I committed to working in the townships teaching 10th graders about AIDS prevention, visiting AIDS clinics, and seeing the gospel sent in both word and deed. Prior to coming to Africa, I researched as much as I could about the AIDS epidemic that is known to be so prevalent in this country. Statistically, I may have known numbers. But when it came to real life stories, everyday experiences, and the depth of emotional turmoil that affects so many children and families...I knew nothing.


Still, I could never understand the weight of suffering that so many of these people carry. But my eyes have been opened and my heart continually burdened for the needs of this country, and for this world. To help explain, I've compiled a few different stories to share of the things I've done, the things I've seen, and the things which God is teaching me.


Life at the Crossroads

Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa has the highest concentration of HIV infected people in the entire world. Although our main goal is to share the gospel, it is nearly impossible to communicate the good news without reference to the AIDS crises happening right before our eyes. The Smart Choices workshop is designed to help combat the HIV epidemic by educating 10th grade high school students in the South African townships about their choices and their consequences. During the workshop, which is a total of 6 hours (2 hours for three days), students are given the opportunity to consider the choices they want to make about sexuality. They also discover that some choices may profoundly affect the dreams they have for their life. In the process of teaching them about HIV infection and transmission, we also spend time helping students realize that they are unique, valuable, and deeply loved. Towards the end of our workshop, we introduce the love of Christ and ultimately allow students to make a choice about their relationship with God.


Among the students we address, there are some who are HIV-positive, some who suspect they are infected, and others who have lost friends or family members as a result of the disease. The reality of AIDS has affected most, if not all of the children in the classroom. The expression on their faces and the heaviness of emotion felt amongst the students is both powerful and heartbreaking, and reflects just that. But to see the incredible change as they grow in understanding from the first day to the last, is tremendous. And the transformation done in their hearts as they recognize God's love, plan and purpose for their life is remarkable. To paint a picture for you, at the beginning of our workshop we let students know that there is an envelope for them to put in any anonymous question they may have. It is available to them all three days that we teach and throughout our time, we answer their questions whenever possible. These were some of the shocking questions we received on Day One:

Is it true that if a 60 year old man sleeps with a 6 year old girl, he can be cured of HIV?

What should I do if my boyfriend forces me to sleep with him? How do I say no?

I think I might have HIV. Is there still hope for my life?

My uncle said that if you eat bark from this specific tree, you can be cured of HIV. Is that true?

My family member has HIV and we have one bed in our house. Can I get HIV too, if I sleep in the same bed?

I am a virgin, but somebody told me if I sleep with someone who has HIV, I can cure them. Can I?




As I read these questions during our break, I was devastated. I couldn't believe how misinformed these 15 year old students were about such a deadly disease. Nor could I believe how present it was in their lives. As we resumed our session, we addressed their questions and helped answer and hopefully reassure them of what was true. These were the questions and comments we received on Day Three:

I want to change my life and stop having casual sex. I want to save it for marriage.

How do I receive Christ in my life?

How can I tell others about everything we have learned?

I am not a virgin anymore, but can I be a virgin again starting today?

Thank you for changing my life.


God did amazing things in that classroom and I pray they will be lasting changes that will have a ripple effect into the future lives of many others. Praise God that He is the God of salvation, redemption, and beautiful transformation.



1000 Hills Community Center

As we were preparing to head to the AIDS clinic in the Valley of A Thousand Hills, we were told that 70% of the people in that specific valley were infected with HIV. When we arrived at the clinic, we were corrected and informed that in fact, 96% were infected. I couldn't believe it. As I stood at the entrance way, I saw a crowd before me of mothers, grandmothers, children, fathers, brothers, sons, and daughters all waiting to be seen by a doctor. My heart was so burdened by these people whose lives were slowly fading away. As I continued to walk through, there was another line ahead of me of nearly a hundred people waiting for a free meal; possibly their only meal for the whole day.

Grandmothers sat shoulder to shoulder on the benches alongside the clinic doors, waiting for their infected grand-babies to be given proper treatment. It seemed as if every corner I turned, I was tripping over tragedy as injustice slapped me in the face. I couldn't understand the heaviness of this kind of suffering. It was beyond me. "God, where are you in this mess?," my heart cried. And as always, He opened my eyes. I walked into a tiny shop connected to the clinic and saw beautiful table cloths, hand sewn pillows, beaded jewelry and little dolls..all made by the patients from the clinic.

The women at this community center are given an opportunity to use their skills to find employment and make a name for themselves as they contribute to the society. They are taught different craft projects and are paid by the center as they try to make a living. A computer room offers computer classes to teach men and women more technical skills like basic typing and word processing. Next to the shop was a small daycare for infants and toddlers who are HIV positive or who are orphaned by parents who have died of AIDS. One child, Siyabonga (which means Thank You in Zulu), was born about a year and a half ago. Shortly after his birth, both of his parents died from AIDS. Siyabonga was tested immediately. With his parents having full blown AIDS, doctors feared how much longer this little boy hadleft to live. His results came back negative. Babies don't always test positive right away, so he went back for testing a few months later. He was negative once again.

One day, this boy will be told that his highly infectious parents gave birth to a miracle child.



As I walked back out, passing the clinic doors once again, I glanced at the people all around me. I remember seeing these two women whose laugh made the depths of my heart smile. They were SO joyful! Their laugh was so contagious, I began to giggle to myself. Where was God in this mess? He was right here.






HE understood

At Ukukanya, many immediate needs of the community have demanded our attention away from the center and into the homes of many families. The other week, we visited two homes and stepped into the lives of desperate people. One girl, I will call her Peace, is 26 years old and is HIV positive. She has never been to a clinic and has never received proper treatment or has even been seen by a doctor before. Her home is tucked away behind a one-way road and in between several dirt pathways. On occasion, her mother has tried to get her to a clinic in an emergency by pushing her in a wheel barrow up several hilly streets and through rocky dirt roads, to the nearest clinic about 4-5 miles away. Peace has two children,

a boy and a girl both under the age of 5. The three of them live with her mother in a one-room brick house, just big enough to hold a double size bed. They all sleep together with three other grandchildren, that Peace's sister left behind after her death. When we took Peace to the clinic for the first time, we were informed that her case was severe. She was diagnosed with TB, arthritis, and other health conditions with AIDS underlying. I held her arm and helped her walk into the office where she would receive her first medication. I tried to muster up words to start conversation, but it didn't last long. "How are you feeling?" ..."I'm o.k., thank you." ..."Are you cold?" ...."A little bit, yes." I had no idea what else to say. After we dropped her off, Amanda and I drove the rest of the way home in silence. It made me sad that I couldn't ever tell this woman, 'I understand.' I didn't understand! I have never suffered nearly the same way she has. I want so badly to tell her I understand and I'm here to comfort her, but I really can't understand at all. But then I was reminded of Hebrews chapter 4, where it says that Jesus Christ understands all our sufferings because he faced all of the same trials and testings here on earth, yet he did not sin. Though I couldn't understand, Jesus could. And though the comfort I could give was so limited, the comfort of God was more than enough. And in that moment I realized..that is why God sent me here: to see and experience the suffering of this broken world that HE endured and died for...for my sake and the whole world.


No comments: